Our raffia bags are supplied by Madaraff, a family business founded by brothers Stuart and Alan along with their wives Aurelie and Emma in 2004. Working passionately with Aurelie’s Malagasy family Madaraff takes great pride in bringing innovative beautiful handmade designs produced ethically by skilled artisans and friends in Madagascar.
Madaraff derives great satisfaction from, and is proud of the fact that; by bringing their beautiful and inspired handmade range, they are directly supporting and providing livelihoods for family and friends in Madagascar.
In addition, because of this unique background they can confidently assure us of the following:
- Their suppliers are either family run cooperatives working from home, or otherwise small artisan units.
- Every supplier is regularly visited by Madaraff in person.
- No young children are used in the manufacture of their products.
- Their products are fairly traded, the price paid being decided in discussion between Madaraff representatives from Aurelie’s family and the suppliers.
- The raffia used in the manufacture of these products is a renewable and sustainable raw material.
- The Zebu (cow) horn used to embellish their bags is a by–product of meat production.