Furniture upcycling project for work experience to help the local unemployed
In February 2016, Little Trove was awarded a local grant to set up and run a project in our town of Newcastle-under-Lyme/Stoke-on-Trent to give work experience and upskill local unemployed people.
Since we are in the home decoration business and generally love recycling, we thought a furniture upcycling project would be appropriate.
We are looking for motivated individuals, men, women, young people, who are currently unemployed for whatever reason and who would like to get involved to contact us.
The task involves:
1. Manual work taking old furniture from charity shops, cleaning, preparing surfaces and painting into new fresh colours;
2. Re-purposing items, such as doing carpentry work to transform reclaimed wood into shelving, cupboards, tables etc;
3. Any other creative idea that recycles waste into saleable products.
Here are samples of what is possible:
The finished items, if in good saleable condition, will be sold by Little Trove and a percentage of the proceeds will be ploughed back into the project. As a social enterprise (ie. a Community Interest Company), Little Trove is bound to use its profits for the benefit of its projects. Eventually, this project may create a fixed job position with a wage from Little Trove.
Benefit of the project
We estimate the following impact on volunteers of this project:
- Opportunity to learn new skills such as furniture upcycling, painting, business administration, customer services, marketing and sales
- Raising self-confidence and self-esteem
- Opportunity to work outside of home (to reduce loneliness, boredom)
- Gaining valuable work experience for CVs, to transition to employment
- Getting a job reference from Little Trove
- Obtaining a part/full time job at Little Trove if the products sell well
To find out more or arrange to visit our warehouse, please contact:
Tel: 01782 922536
Unit 10, Brampton Workshop, Brampton Sidings, Newcastle, Staffordshire, ST5 0SR.